I recently had the honor of meeting Jessica Rush, the new director of Main Street Rogers. We sat down to discuss the organization’s plans to revitalize Downtown Rogers in 2016 and I have to tell you, they have a lot of great things in store.
“Our main goal is to create a habit of coming to Downtown Rogers,” Jessica said.
Organizers hope that people will choose Downtown Rogers as a family outing spot or a romantic date night. Many of the empty buildings have been purchased and Jessica said they hope to see those filled soon. Places such as Levi’s Gastrolounge and Pub (which Jessica and her husband own) and the sister restaurants The Rail and Parkside Public are just a handful of thriving locally owned restaurants.
I’m especially excited to see so many new and returning events coming to downtown. These events are fantastic opportunities to visit Rogers and stay the weekend to participate.
Check out this list (more details will be available on the Main Street Rogers website as the events approach).
- April 3: RazorRail is adding a day this year! This event gives people the opportunity to ride the A&M Railroad excursion train from downtown to the Razorback baseball game.
- April 15: FLW Fish Fest features local chefs at the new Farmer’s Market location (101 E. Cherry Street) who will cook various styles of fish. The anglers from the FLW will have their boats on hand to exhibit and there will be live music.
- May 18-21: Downtown Rogers Restaurant Week. Have you experienced the flavor of Downtown Rogers? Each restaurant will feature great deals throughout the weekend. This is a great time to schedule special dinners for high school graduates or any other special occasion.
- Aug. 26-27: Frisco Festival will be in its 32nd year and is the last weekend in August every year. Last year they decided to do away with the carnival rides so more community groups would have room to offer family-friendly activities. I love how Frisco Fest is truly a community event as organizations from all over participate.
- Sept. 23: The Bark Show is sure to be fun for families and their pooches.
- Sept. 24: The Bicycles, Burgers, and Bluegrass is a great alternative for the motorcycle rally during Northwest Arkansas’ traditional Bikes, Blues, and BBQ weekend.
- Oct. 9: OktoBeerFest will feature music, fun and of course, beer.
- Oct. 31: The Goblin Parade is adorable. Last year about 500 kids in costumes visited Downtown Rogers businesses. Best trick o’treating ever.
- Nov. 12: RazorRail returns for Razorback football – Arkansas vs. LSU.
- Dec. 2: Last year, Main Street moved the Christmas parade from a Monday night to a Friday night and that was really smart. I love Christmas parades and Rogers has one of the best.
- Dec. 17: Holiday movie at the Victory Theater.
One last thing—Main Street Rogers is bringing back Third Thursdays in June, July and August. It’s a great time to enjoy outdoor music, dine in downtown, and spend time with family and friends.