999-02-13-RCVB-WEB-Title-04.jpg

100 Things to Do in Rogers #7: Play on Beaver Lake

Posted by Jennifer Haile on Thu, Jul 11, 2013

We were off to a great start this month with unseasonably cool weather, but alas, the hot, humid air has returned. That can only mean one thing...it's time to find a place to cool off! Luckily for you, your next 100 Things to Do in Rogers assignment is about just that - assignment #7: Play on Beaver Lake. Beaver Lake is nationally renowned for Striped Bass and has even become a tour stop on the Wal-Mart FLW Tour, but boating, scuba diving, water skiing, wake boarding, kayaking, swimming and picnicking are just as popular as fishing on Beaver Lake. So suit up, grab the towels and sunscreen and get to Beaver Lake as fast as you can for some fun in the sun and a great way to stay cool as the temperatures near 100!

Read More

Topics: Family-Friendly, What to Do, Beaver Lake, Sports/Outdoors, 100 Things to Do

100 Things to Do in Rogers #6: Rogers Aquatics Center

Posted by Jennifer Haile on Tue, May 21, 2013

It's new, it's shiny and it's oh so pretty! You are in for a super fun assignment for your next task in the 100 Things to Do in Rogers series. Grab your sunscreen and your shades because it's time to head to the brand new Rogers Aquatics Center when it opens May 25!

Aquatics Center Highlights:

• Five different water slides
  • Lazy River
  • Lap pool with diving board and basketball goals
  • Splash pad for little tikes
  • Intermediate Play area with slides, water cannons and rope bridge
  • State-of-the-art surveillance
  • 30+ lifeguards on duty to keep you safe
  • It's in ROGERS!

You are going to be wowed when you step foot in the new Rogers Aquatics Center. My boys, ages 4 and 6, walked in, surveyed the park, and were a bit overwhelmed with where to start. If they could have walked at a very fast pace (can't run in the park!) in 5 different directions to cover everything at once, they would have. We ended up starting at the intermediate play area where the water cannons can be found. If you have boys, you know that they are drawn to those things like a moth to a flame. We could have played just in this one area all day. There is a slide, rope bridge and lots of shallow water for just sitting and playing, but watch out...there is a huge bucket of water that will "cool you off" when you aren't expecting it. This momma learned that the hard way to the delight of her children. While there is a lot to do for the younger kids here, there is also a lot to do for the older kids, starting with the rope bridge or lily pad walk and floating animals you can climb on. There are also basketball goals and a volleyball net for some friendly competition where the water is deeper. Just remember to bring a life jacket from home if your little one isn't ready to swim on their own in the deeper water. Arm rings and other flotation devices aren't allowed, so leave those at home. There is also a splash pad area with sprinklers, very shallow pool and a smaller slide perfect for toddlers. It is also shaded to keep your little one's skin safe from the sun! By the way, admission is free for kids under 36". Hooray! 

Read More

Topics: Family-Friendly, What to Do, Sports/Outdoors, 100 Things to Do, Trails & Parks

100 Things to Do in Rogers #5: 3rd Friday in Downtown

Posted by Jennifer Haile on Mon, May 13, 2013

We have something fun up our sleeves for this week's post! The 2013 3rd Friday series in Downtown Rogers kicks off on May 17 (this weekend!) with a community shrimp boil and live music on the Frisco Stage from 5-9 p.m. Great weather, friends, food and music... all in one place! If you haven't attended a 3rd Friday, you have to now because it's officially your 5th assignment in the 100 Things to Do in Rogers series. In fact, we are so excited to kick off the 2013 season, we are giving away two tickets to the shrimp boil this weekend. I'll get to the details in a bit, but first, let me tell you what makes 3rd Friday a must-do in Rogers.

Read More

Topics: Family-Friendly, What to Do, Downtown Rogers, Free Things to Do, 100 Things to Do

100 Things to Do in Rogers #4: Rogers Farmer's Market

Posted by Jennifer Haile on Thu, May 02, 2013

Northwest Arkansas is home to some fantastic local farmers' markets. Each has its own flare and feel, making them each distinct and unique. This year the Rogers Farmer's Market is celebrating 25 years of offering locally grown produce and handmade products for area residents to enjoy. Just check out this collage sampling of what you can find when you visit the farmer's market in its new location this year, which is at the corner of 1st and Walnut near the Frisco Caboose (and playground for those of you bringing the kids along!). This new location is the perfect launching point for future growth because it will allow the market to occasionally offer entertainment on stage, electricity to vendors (think food trucks or other hot food vendors!) and it's closer to downtown businesses, so shoppers can stroll around town after visiting the market. Win-win! So as a part of this 100 Things to Do in Rogers assignment, when you visit the Rogers market this season as #4 on this list of 100 things to do, I challenge you to talk to the vendors as you shop their booths. That is my favorite part of farmer's markets. It's so interesting to learn why these farmers, crafters and artists enjoying doing what they do and being a part of each local community. For instance, did you know LoEllen with Gourds and More actually started working on her gourds for this year's market more than a year ago? Talk about some pre-planning! It takes 8-10 months for the gourds to dry out, then she carves, paints and turns them into beautiful and fun pieces of art ready to be sold at market! 

Read More

Topics: Family-Friendly, What to Do, Shopping, Downtown Rogers, 100 Things to Do

100 Things to Do in Rogers #3: Rogers Little Theater

Posted by Jennifer Haile on Thu, Apr 04, 2013

The phrase "If I knew then what I know now..." comes to mind after my first experience at the Rogers Little Theater this past weekend. I'm a little embarrassed it took me so long to attend a show considering how long I have lived in northwest Arkansas. I knew immediately what I had to do so others wouldn't make that same mistake, so here it is... assignment #3 in the 100 Things to Do in Rogers series: go to a production at the Rogers Little Theater. You will thank me later for this fun and affordable date night idea!

Read More

Topics: Family-Friendly, What to Do, Downtown Rogers, Where to Eat, Art & Theatre, 100 Things to Do

100 Things to Do in Rogers #2: Daisy Airgun Museum

Posted by Jennifer Haile on Sat, Mar 09, 2013

I have to confess that before I visited the Daisy Airgun Museum, the only thing I really knew about BB guns was what I learned from "A Christmas Story", one of my favorite holiday movies. Little Raphie wanted nothing more than an official Red Ryder carbine-action two-hundred-shot range model air rifle. Unfortunately everyone, including Santa, told him, "You'll shoot your eye out, kid". Now that my boys have been introduced to the classic Red Ryder, I have a feeling it will show up on a wishlist soon... which leads me to your next assignment for the 100 Things to Do in Rogers series: #2 visit Daisy Airgun Museum in downtown Rogers. As I mentioned in assignment #1, I like history, so you'll probably get quite of bit of it here on the blog. Isn't history fun?!?

Read More

Topics: Family-Friendly, What to Do, 100 Things to Do

100 Things to Do in Rogers #1: Visit Rogers Historical Museum

Posted by Jennifer Haile on Fri, Mar 01, 2013

Today I give you your first assignment. I am kicking off the 100 Things to Do in Rogers series with the Rogers Historical Museum. Get ready to jot down a few important things (like how to get there and when it's open) because you'll want to promptly complete your task after you hear all the fun factoids about this place.

Read More

Topics: Family-Friendly, What to Do, Downtown Rogers, Free Things to Do, 100 Things to Do